10.31.2015

I'm benignly gentile.

Part I:
The best way to learn new words is by reading. However, if you’re kind of ridiculous and are against that or, like me, don’t have time at the moment because of what is known as the fiery pits of homework, music is a good, less time consuming alternative (pop, ha).

Por ejemplo, “benign” means “not harmful.” This was one of my vocabulary words in English, but I knew the definition beforehand because of a lyric in Marina and the Diamonds’ (aka the actual queen of the world) song “Hollywood.”

“Your mind is just like mine, all filled up with things benign…"

the Marina and the Diamonds concert AHH

Part II: Now, to musicals: an alternative to Hebrew School? (NOT REALLY)

The Last Five Years taught me that “goyishe” means someone or something that is not Jewish. “Shiksa” (as in “Shiksa Goddess”) is a gentile girl or woman. Finding this out lead me to look up what gentile means (which is also "not Jewish").

Shrek the Musical lead me to look up the word “Kafkaesque,” in turn leading to extensive reading of Kafka (as in Franz)’s Wikipedia page, thus leading me to find that he was a Jewish German-speaking author of novels and short stories during the late 19th- and early 20th-centuries.

The Fiddler on the Roof explained that “l’chaim" is a toast to life, and a billion other things about Orthodox Judaism. I saw it with my friend Rachael, who happens to be Jewish. At intermission, I grilled her on everything Jewish mentioned in the play, which is literally everything because the whole plot, for those who don’t know, is about an Orthodox Jewish village in Russia during World War II.

zees eez rachael and iy goeen to feedlare oan zee rouf
These definitions, and probably others to be totally honest, leave us with the task of figuring which of these conclusions is true: 1.) The world of musical theatre is fascinated in Judaism 2.) It just so happens that three of the musicals I’ve seen/listened to/been involved in recently have all had major references to Judaism (it’s all a big coincidence/the universe wants me to know more about Judaism) or 3.) Judaism is a super-big, worldwide religion that comes up all over the place and it’s only natural that musical theatre is included in that. In all honesty, it’s probably the third one, but I like to think that things happen for a reason (because imho life is more fun that way).

Just as a general side note, most (if not all) of the Jewish people that I’ve met have been some of the nicest people I’ve known as well. Who knows if there’s a correlation (and that’s not to say that your religion defines you or that any religion besides Judaism is inferior! Or superior! I’m not Jewish, or any other religion for that matter, so this is totally not meant to be offensive to anyone; it’s just my minuscule compilation of experiences.) Additionally, for much of my elementary school life I was fascinated with Judaism and actually kind of wanted to be Jewish (mind you, I’ve never been religious so I had nothing with which to compare it).

Takeaway:
Marina Diamandis can help you ace your English tests.
If you have any interest in subtly learning about Judaism, look to musicals.

Anyway, ttfn. Nice seein' ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment